Southern Roots

Family history research in the Southern States.

Civil War Prisoner of War Records

I made an interesting find at Ancestry last week: Civil War Prisoner of War Records. I found the record of Robert C. Purdy of Caldwell Co., Kentucky. The collection includes digital images of the records. The record indicates that R.C. Purdy was captured in Caldwell Co., Kentucky in January 1864. He was listed as a deserter from the Confederate Army. He was released on oath in April 1864.

Desertion was a big problem for the military during the Civil War. The long, bloody war was hard on both the soldiers and their families. It made me think of what the conditions were like that may have prompted Robert to leave his unit.

The compiled service record of Perry G. Baker, a Civil War soldier from Tennessee, states in 1863┬áthat he was missing since the fall of Ft. Henry in 1862. He passed away in 1900, so he wasn’t killed in the battle. Was he wounded, captured or did he slip away and rejoin his family?

I have other Civil War ancestors who were POWs. I’m planning on taking some more time with this database to see if I can learn more about them.


May 5, 2011 Posted by | Uncategorized | , , , , | 3 Comments

Kentucky Historical Society

Take time to visit the webpage of the Kentucky Historical Society. Their “Research and Genealogy” link takes you to a page where you can access their library catalog, digital collection, Kentucky historical marker database, Kentucky cemetery records database, Kentucky virtual library and Kentuckana digital collection. The site is easy to use. Here’s the link.

March 13, 2009 Posted by | Uncategorized | , , | Leave a comment

Kentucky Department of Libraries and Archives

The KDLA website has a page describing how their sources can be used in family history research. It includes descriptions of the types of records that are available from Kentucky and how they can be accessed. There are forms for requesting copies of records. Only one record can be requested at a time. The fee is $10 for Kentucky residents and $15 for out-of-state requests. There is also a list of professional researchers if more extensive research is needed. I did not find any online, digitized records.

May 20, 2008 Posted by | Uncategorized | , , | Leave a comment